8/16/2007

my attempt at verse

"Awayward"

Walking home
finally
a 30 minute stumble
after an age at work
painstaking

Music in one ear
rise against rise against
eyes closed
propelled by sound
wired for motion

Denise
the queen of complaining
her badge her tiara
her glasses her scepter
thoughts of regicide
consuming

another hill
a different mountain to climb
one foot
attached to one leg
attached to the world
the trying world

gnawing in my gut
beavers on my inside?
throbbing in my back
ninjas stabbing there?
no
just Denise

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really know anything about verse, so can't properly judge if it's good or bad... but I did enjoy the tiara, scepter, beavers, ninja imagery for what it's worth. Oh, and the word 'awayward' rocks. Yep, that's my in-depth critique!

Me™

Dale said...

Truly thorough. I thank you.

Well then, to you, Mr. Anonymous, I recommend (and perhaps will lend you a copy of) The Monkey's Mask. A feminist (debatable) lesbian detective fiction told in verse.

Dale

Anonymous said...

Oh god, not another feminist (debatable) lesbian detective fiction told in verse book! Cliche much?

Me (still trademarked - just couldn't be bothered cut and pasting the superscript.)