10/14/2007

Chapter 5 – The Suspicious Man

Cindy collapsed onto a nearby couch and started to cry; somehow more tears started streaming out of her eyes. She needed to let all of her sadness, grief, anger and disbelief come out from deep inside of her. “Please let this be a dream!” she moaned, “And let me wake up from it now!” she begged herself desperately.

“Cindy, it’ll be okay,” Michelle reassured her while clasping her hand.

“We need you to be strong now,” Callie said softly, “We’re gonna help you get through this.”

Cindy hung her head low and looked at the floorboards, she hadn’t yet heard Amy talk. Amy was the youngest, and about her age. Now she heard an unfamiliar voice, it was her, “Cindy,” Amy said. Cindy looked up at her through teary eyes, she noticed Amy also had tears running down her cheeks, “You’re not the only one, it happened to all of us too.” With that she ran out of the room and Cindy heard a door slam shut somewhere down the hall.

Michelle went to get up and go after her but Callie said, “Leave her Chelley, we have to explain things to Cindy first.” Callie had some power over Michelle because she sat back down again.

“Right, okay, where do we start?” Michelle asked, distracted. Obviously her loyalties lay with Amy, Cindy could tell Michelle would rather be comforting Amy than her.

Callie turned the TV off, then walked back to Cindy’s side. Trying to lighten things up she said, “Come on Cindy, we all made it through and by the looks of things you’re a strong girl, you’ll be just fine.”

“I just want things to go back to the way they were,” Cindy explained, “Whoever you are, you don’t need my help.”

“You don’t know that, and besides, you need ours,” said Michelle, “Call me Chelley, by the way.” Michelle smiled one of her fantastic smiles and Cindy felt a little better.

“Brant will explain more to you tomorrow, but until then…”

“Who’s Brant?” Cindy questioned; Brant sounded like a name she should remember.

“He’s like our leader,” Michelle contributed.

It looked like Callie was about to tell her something important, and she was, “Cindy, look me in the eyes,” she said. Cindy did as she was told but found she couldn’t stop looking at the blue part of Callie's left eye, was this meant to happen? The pitter-patter of the rain on the roof became louder, and suddenly it was all she could hear. She was struck by a vision, and she saw Callie as a young girl running away, fleeing from a house, and a man jumping out at her from behind a tree… It stopped, and she could hear Callie again. “I know you’ve already noticed our eyes…” she was saying, “What is it?” Callie asked noticing that Cindy wasn’t listening to her.

“Was that Brant?” Cindy questioned.

“What are you talking about?” Callie said bewildered.

“In my vision…”

“You had a vision?” Michelle’s eyes opened up wide.

“The rain became really loud and I couldn’t hear anything except for it, then all of a sudden I saw you,” Cindy said, pointing to Callie. “I saw you running away from something, then a man in dark clothes jumped out at you from behind a tree and grabbed you by the shoulders.”

“Cindy, that was amazing! That was Brant, and the first time I met him, after my mum was…” she stopped herself from saying anymore.

“I can’t believe it,” Michelle said in awe.

“I know, a vision already! She probably doesn’t even know about her powers,” Callie added.

“As I was saying, our eyes are like this because we’ve discovered our power, or powers in my case,” Callie explained.

“Callie stop,” Amy suddenly appeared and she was standing in the living room doorway, “There’s a man that keeps driving past in a black car and he’s been looking at our house every time he goes by. There he is again.”

Cindy looked out the window with the others. “A threat, Callie?” Michelle asked with a worried look on her face.

“Possibly Chelley, maybe we should get Brant,” Callie said with some concern.

Cindy interrupted them, “I know him,” she put forth. “I mean, I’ve seen him before.”

“Where?” her newfound friends asked in unison.

“I think he’s been following me,” announced Cindy. She shivered at the thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the mystery deepens... Chelly, Callie got me a little confused at first, but now I got it sorted. Yes, I'm *that* clever. If i could travel back in time 5 years, I'd tell you 'good work' and invest in google.