8/07/2008

The Troupe

I’m trying to remember my dreams (see two posts ago) for my scriptwriting subject at uni. Well, I haven’t been writing them down but one has stuck with me for its sheer oddness. You know how that happens every now and then? You get that one dream that makes you go “huh?” and consider the possibility that your subconscious could somehow be experimenting with recreational drugs? I had one of those.

In my mind’s eye (sidenote – why do minds only have one eye? Why can’t they have two like us? What if the circumstances arose that they would require depth perception? Our minds would be screwed!) I’m walking down a downward sloping alley in a metropolitan area with a group of about twelve to fifteen people. These people are a mish-mash of people from school and a handful of friends. I’m not sure what we’re doing in the city or where we’re headed, but for whatever reason everyone seems enthusiastic and energetic. I can’t rule out that there wasn’t high five-ing and that playful kind of gentle shoving. It all seemed very slow motion and music video-ish (with no music).

I’m at the head of the group as we approach the end of the alley of friendly pushing when something catches my eye and I get an idea. What I see is a big empty room that would normally be closed off by a really wide roller door. The room is bare but for what looks like a row of changing room stalls along the back wall. The heights of each door vary, but dream Dale doesn’t notice that. He’s too busy enjoying slinking into the room, kind of dancing his way towards one of the stalls. The others watch for a second before cottoning on to his fantastic idea and dancing their way into the room too. Before long each of the stalls contain people flailing their arms around, jumping up and down, making dancing facial expressions and having the times of their lives. There are a throng of people, who couldn’t fit in the now crowded stalls, dancing in front of them too. By this stage music has mysteriously filled the air, as if brought on by the impromptu dancing.

That continued for a while before eventually the music died out and people started to make their way out of the strange room. High five-ing and chest bumping etc definitely happened as everyone was exiting, and I turned to the nearest group of people with a sudden revelation:

“We can be called the Parma Dancers!”

It made sense to those people, but I’m now stupefied about where it came from. I don’t think we in any way were dancing like parmigianas or in tribute to them. Because how and why would you do that? I’m pretty sure it’s not possible (but I would love for someone to prove otherwise!).

Anyway, that was my dream. Any psychoanalysts feel free to go to town on it. :)

Dale.

12 comments:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Normally I'd have a theory, but that one has me beat! (Was someone doing the chicken dance perhaps?)

Speaking of dreams, I had an odd one last night. My brain basically stole the plot from ratatouille - but replaced the rat with a turtle. (Which is a weaker artistic choice than a rat - stupid, stealing brain!) The only thing that made any sense was he made berry pancakes (I'd contemplated making them for dinner last night.)

Also noticed the mX subhead has been replaced - very funny. New thing? Or have I just not been paying attention?

Dale said...

Relatively new yes.
And lay off your "stupid" stealing brain. At least a turtle is kind of an obscure choice and it didn't replace the rat with a mouse. Or an elephant. :)
Berry pancakes sound delicious...

Jimzip said...

Hahahah. That's hilarious!
Luke mentioned in another post that his dreams sometimes contain twists, which understandably are quite baffling to him. I've had a couple of those, (hopefully not the same ones or we've got a bigger problem...) but I usually find out that when I wake up that it didn't make quite as much sense as I thought while *in* the dream.

It's some weird psych fact that your brain is more active while asleep than when awake, so I don't see why intelligent storylines are impossible while dreaming, but the parma dancers really doesn't make any sense... unless your brain is trying to warn you of something! Avoid chicken parmigiana's for a bit while we work this out. ;)

Jimzip :D

Jimzip said...

... or should you be *trying* to eat a chicken parma?!

I'm so confused!

Jimzip :D

Paul said...

Maybe your subconscious can't spell, and was searching for the word prema?

I don't get it, you don't like musicals but the thought of randomly breaking out in dance enthralls you...

Jesicka309 said...

I know why u were dreaming about parmas!Because yous said that u were going to post about the best parma in melbourne, and u hvaen't!

it's subconscious guilt! :P

Luke! said...

Dale... I have concluded that your mind is indeed experimenting with recreational drugs. You need to track down the dealer, pop a capp in his ass, and cut your minds resource supply off (I don't mean strangle yourself) don't let your mind make an income, this way it can no longer afford to purchase said recreational drugs.

Luke! said...

Dale... I have concluded that your mind is indeed experimenting with recreational drugs. You need to track down the dealer, pop a capp in his ass, and cut your minds resource supply off (I don't mean strangle yourself) don't let your mind make an income, this way it can no longer afford to purchase said recreational drugs.

Jimzip said...

Luke's double comment only serves to further enhance his concern...

Jimzip :D

Paul said...

Luke's double comment only serves to further enhance his concern...

echolalia

Jimzip said...

Damn you echolalia... always echoing me when I least expect it!!

(on a side note... longest... comment thread... ever.)

Jimzip :D

Jimzip said...

Ok I wouldn't usually follow up my own comment, but seeing as you're interested in dreams, I had THE MOST AMAZING Spiderman dream ever the other night... Yep, yours truly got to sling a few webs, fly over buildings and at one point I even caught a whole gang of armed thugs.

The only inconsistency with real Spiderman is that I had to will myself very hard to make the web happen. Slinging it was no problem, like when I was building-hopping through the city, but catching the thugs - I'd fire it off, then I had to time my thinking perfectly to make it fan out into a web-net and catch them. I was quite apt at it by the end of the dream though!

Also, and what I think was more strange about this dream, is that I could feel the web coming out of my wrists every time... creepy I know, but now I know what Spidey feels like! Plus: FUN!!

Jimzip :D