3/18/2009

Imagination

So I haven’t blogged for a while now. I’ve been trying to channel my creative efforts into seriously doing some writing (in between uni shit). The sad thing is I haven’t actually written a lot. I’ve made a start on two projects, but I’m not very far in. I have ideas for both that excite me, but I’m having issues with form/structure. The pieces are raining down all mixed up and not falling into place, and I’m wondering if I need to approach the stories from another direction. Although as long as I’m still stimulated by my ideas I’m not worried.

I’m doing poetry this semester. And I don’t want this to alter my writing style. I’m an imitator. I tend to adopt elements of the style of writing I’m reading into my own writing. There’s this exercise that I have to do for my scriptwriting unit that’s designed to help me get some idea of who I am as a writer and why I write about the things I do; why I’m drawn to write about certain characters or ideas. So hopefully it will help me create a barrier against my writing turning all flowery and eloquent and grandiose. Notice I said the ‘S’ word in my first sentence? That might have been for this very purpose!

United States of Tara is just awesome. Thanks again, Luke! It’s not really like any other show you’ll see. It’s honest. I’m drawn to it. Sucks that the episodes only go for half an hour and that there are only twelve per season but what can I do? Use my imitation skills to write my own episodes? Not quite! To have that talent would be nothing other than extremely magnificent.

Brenton got me thinking yesterday, about how the world might be different if humans had super-vivid imaginations; the ability to imagine yourself in any kind of situation in your own mind. To create personalisable movies to live out fantasies or simply experience things you’ve always wanted to do. Would being able to envisage the otherwise unimaginable be a good or a bad thing for relationships or goals and ambitions, for example? Or would it lead to more depression and delusion? I guess it depends on how such imaginative powers were used. I wonder where I’d stop? And what would it mean for the film, tv, and book industries? And tourism? It would be very interesting to explore a world like that.

Hope everyone’s cool.

Dale.

4 comments:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Hmm, every para inspired so many thoughts - I'll try not to go on and on.

And on. ;)

Interesting how you were talking about the pieces raining down all mixed up. I have the same thing happen - the process of working out how they fit is my favourite part (much, much more than the actual writing part). And yes, when you used the S word, my brain went "that's not very Dale-like".

Also the imitator thing is interesting. Perhaps you should read the most successful book series ever and imitate it and become uber rich. Hmm, I guess that series would be Harry Potter. Read it! :p (Also I'd love to see the scriptwriting exercise - sounds fun.)

Tara = awesome.

Brenton's imagination world is a really cool concept and does raise a lot of interesting questions. I've got no idea what the answers would be (re:good or bad) - and yet I'd really like to visit that world!

Jimzip said...

"I'd really like to visit that world!" you and me both... actually an interesting (or possibly awful) film on the horizon to keep an eye on might be 'Were the world mine'. It's essentially a re-imagining of A Midsummer Night's Dream with an interesting twist. You might have heard about it (or seen it) already though so I'll stop now. :)

Keep us posted on your course and the adventures therein! :)

Jimzip :D

Tim Mc said...

I dont know if you have seen The Cell -jennifer Lopez-pysco killer- but imagination runs both ways.

Wow. Looking at Jim and Lukes coments i sound like such a downer! But il knife cynically along... lol.

One man's paradise isnt another man's, and how much would you withdraw from the world if you had the ability to detach from it, to rise above your meagre station in life to be the next battle lord of where ever, the leader of the free world, the anything you want to be but at the desk job that pays your rent.

I think World of Warcraft gave us a tiny glimpse into the downside...and maybe even the Matrix to the ultimate downside. How many people would want to leave the comfort of their self delusion to work like a dog for a living and have to deal with confrontations and let downs of life.

Maybe a refreshingly large amount. Maybe theres a story there :-)
Imagination is the safest of escapes though, booze, drugs and badminton being the dangerous others...

Dale said...

Luke... The lengths you will go to to get me to read Harry Potter... :)

I'll keep an eye out for that movie Jimzip - sounds intriguing.

Badminton, Tim? I can't see how that would lead my life into a dangerous downward spiral. :P

There must have been studies about the effects of WoW - if not, they could be quite revealing!

And yes you bring up some very interesting dark conclusions about Imaginationland. I think there is a story there... I hope I can write it someday.

Thanks for the comm's. :)