3/08/2012

Blurry Mardi Gras Memories - Friday

I'm not entirely sure what the time was when we eventually got out of bed. I'd say somewhere in the vicinity of noon-ish. Up & Go's and coffees came to our rescue. Then the afternoon began with multiple quests. The hunt for RCA cables to try to get the blu-ray player working had priority. It just would not be a holiday without watching the latest seasons of Family Guy and Archer! We attempted to get a refund for the tickets to the underwear party from the night before from which we were unable to attend. And we sought out food in the form of Quadzillas...

It had rained almost constantly since we'd arrived and this quashed our plans to go to the Bondi Drag Races. I would have dearly loved to have seen a bunch of drag queens trying to maintain their glamourousness whilst getting drenched and running along a wet sandy beach, all the while praying to RuPaul that their waterproof makeup was really waterproof. But oh well. :) We had a visit from Cam and Chris and because we're excellent hosts we offered them drinks and started up again ourselves.

That night was the Foam Party at Arq. Another impressive club, complete with revolving doors!! (My favourite kind of door.) Oh but before that we briefly checked out the Beresford. Ingeniusly, I left my ID at the hotel so had to run back for it while Dean, Nick and Brad swigged Kahlua. I was wearing red shorts that night and the amount of times I heard "red shorts, red shorts" uttered while briskly walking down Oxford Street was quite something. I was unaccustomed to being ogled on such a scale! When I made it back to my trio of patient and forgiving friends I discovered they'd made a friend. A good-humoured fellow who was wearing a jacket that Nick also owned. We shared our Kahlua with him because it was becoming very hard to drink.

At Arq we stripped down to our shorts and cloaked our phones with our other clothes. This was my first foam party and first time walking around shirtless at such an event. It was awesome. And quite amusing watching the less inhibited gays grope their way around. There was one incidence of very vigorous arm movement that we kept an eye on from the balcony overlooking the foam pit. Getting under the foam itself (which was dispensed from the roof) was not amazing - not being able to see and doing everything in your power not to inhale/ingest said foam. We ran into Jeff & Steve(?) the former owners of Ice Cafe in South Yarra, and they miraculously had Quickeze on them, which Dean was about to go outside to buy. I love it when stuff like that happens! My shoes were ruined that night, but it was totally worth it.

Oporto was consumed for the second night/morning in a row then we squelched back to the hotel and collapsed into our respective beds. Another memorable and thoroughly enjoyable day.

3 comments:

Jimzip said...

I used to love Ice. It was the perfect hangover cure for a big night at the Exchange or Market haha. It's also where I had my first hangover. Ah memories. (Luke I believe you were there that day haha).

That does sound very fortunate though, and serendipitous. :) Glad to hear you're having a blast red shorts!

Luka said...

Haha, maybe we can make red shorts your new nickname. :p

I used to love Ice too! (But I've been clean four months now and...) Haha, nah, they used to do the best milkshakes and scrambled eggs.

Foam party sounds crazy.

PS. I think I've decided Luka is my online persona now... like jimzip. ;)

Dale said...

So it's settled then! I am red shorts, Luke is Luka, and Jimzip is Jimzip lol. :)

I think I've only been to Ice once or twice. And that was a long time ago! The milkshakes sound appealing - provided they haven't changed!