12/24/2007

none of my cousins read my blog... yet

Mark is in the driver’s seat, Dad’s next to him. Mum and I sit in the back; trying to calm Mark and negate Dad’s unintentional pressuring at the same time. We all look and smell nice. Well, I don’t know how nervous/sweaty Mark became whilst driving us there (L-plates shouting “yellow” and “watch me”, the Renault insignia screaming “I’m supposed to be driven by someone sophisticated and European… or by a man having a mid-life crisis”), but he wasn’t overly odourous later on. It’s the 23rd of December and a Sunday early evening. We pull up at the White House and de-car. Mark hands the keys to the valet…

Okay so there wasn’t actually a valet service, although that would have been really cool. And it’s not the actual White House… that would have been quite a long drive. We’re at my Aunty and Uncle’s house in Balwyn (think the next Toorak). It’s massive and grand and white, therefore I have coined it the White House. Anyway, we’re there for a Christmas dinner… two days before Christmas. Unconventional, but I’m not going to complain about getting presents early! Scored a new shaver and Will & Grace Season 4 on dvd. Not because I haven’t made a big enough deal about it already, but just because I enjoy mentioning it, my brother got a hair straightener. :) Sorry Mark, but maybe if you read this more often you’d be spared from me revealing embarrassing tidbits about your life. Wait, why am I addressing him if he doesn’t read this?? I suppose there are ways in which he can be forced to read…

To be continued.....

Merry Christmas to you all. Have a great day with lots of presents and good cheer. :)

* * *

Part 2

Since my last post Mark has now generously straightened my hair twicely, and I must say I have grown quite fond of the device. Any mockery implied previously is withdrawn immediately. So we're at my aunt and uncle's house for the Stephens side of the family Christmas shindig. In attendance are:

  • Cousin Lauren, 19, and her boyfriend of some time Lachie, 20.
  • Cousin Sean, 17, and his leggy friend Katie, 17.
  • My aunt and uncle. :P
  • Mum, Dad, Mark, Me, Grandma.
  • My aunt's mum, June, and June's twin sister Elaine.
So now you know who was there. And I'm realising how hard this is going to be to explain because no one really knows my family very well... Hmm.
Long story short-ish, Lauren, Sean, Lachie & Katie are like characters straight out of the new hit show on Fox8, Gossip Girl (kinda like the OC except in New York). "So and so said this...", "I'm going to such and such to see ...", "Can you believe that Celine...?!"

Pretty much you're no one until you're talked about. Mark and I just sit back listening in trying to glib information [is glib the right word?]. Occasionally the conversation will halt and we'll be asked a question. But whatever we say always magically spurns another stream of name-dropping and big talking. I'm mystified as to how they do it. Maybe I need more friends... No, they're just freaks. When I think about the amount of networking that must be necessary to keep them in their world of gossip and whatnot, I groan at the effort. Almost everyone I know complains about my lack of swiftness replying to SMSs and the like. I'd stand no chance. So I'll just sit here with my little blog, blogging away like a good little blogger, singing happy blogging songs as I type. (PS I got an ipod for Christmas. It's cool :D Although I suppose it was kind of a slowish acquisition... They've been around how long now?)

We ate salmon and chicken and potatoes and salad and Christmas Pudding and fruit mince pies and I had egg nog and it was yum! A little too yum. I found myself feeling a little extra festive for some reason... I can't quite place it. :)

I shouldn't really say all this stuff about my cousins without mentioning that I went through a period in about year 7-8 when I was really close to Lauren and I really enjoyed her and her friend Harriet (who I dated :P)'s company. And I've been going to the football with Sean with Dad and my uncle for years, and we had some good times/talks and stuff. So yeah, I like em, they're just different. But different isn't something to be afraid of or to unwarrantedly dislike.

Wrote a poem today. ...Felt like I should make it known that I am writing some things in my holidays. Story is kind of stuck again. Although I keep having ideas which is encouraging, should really write them down...

That shall do.

Happy New Years to you!

Dale.


9 comments:

Paul said...

What like making it your home page? Or writing the address on the kitchen white board? No i think you would have a little more tact than that.

Gah 'de-car'

Jesicka309 said...

bwhaahahahahahahahaha
mark may not read ur blog, but i certainly do
too bad im not talking to him at present coz he tried to pick up my friend with the line 'fancy a fuck?' via sms.
otherwise i would pay him out big time for the straightener.
ill console myself by telling every1 else. haha

Anonymous said...

Your cousins may not read your blog yet... but with facebook etc... I'd be careful what you say!
Will and Grace 4... woot! You can lend it to me after you lend season 3. :p
Ps. Your sms ended up coming 2nd. Better luck next year. But lol at Mark's sms. (Although it's possible someone pulled a prank using his phone. Is something my school friends would do.)

Paul said...

No its a little more like cruel intentions... but I'm not one to make it obvious when you miss the point.

Jesicka309 said...

omg u and mark are like the most totally closest girls! playing with each others hair....ur like, the best sisters ever!
hehe

Anonymous said...

You haven't written a new entry in three weeks... no wonder your cousins don't read your blog. :p

Anonymous said...

I decided that since you haven't posted an entry in almost a month, I'd write a Daley News article for you. (I had to guess at what you've been up to.)

Dale Day.

Yesterday, I woke up feeling fresh and went online to discover there were new myspace layouts! I changed mine straight away. Then again. And again. And once more for luck.

After lunch I went shopping with Paul. We went looking for new crazy objects for me to be photographed with. At one point he suggested killer baloons. Amateur. That's so last year.

When we were shopping I got a text message from Luke D. It was witty and insightful about the human condition. I laughed and admired it for 3 hours. Luke rules. And can probably beat me at all sport and sporting-related competitions.

After shopping I went over to Brenton's for dinner. It was incredibly nice and the perfect way to end the day. After dinner we went looking for injured baby kookaburras or kittens and puppies to beat up. It was fun.

Yep, Yesterday was like a fairytale. No, a fairydale.

Paul said...

I like how you think even when i say things i misspell them.

Lol admired it for three hours, yet didn't respond.

I feel this story would be accurate if only it started 'Today was really my day'.

Jimzip said...

Surely it's time for a new entry my good man!
And wow I just read Luke's comment above. Haha. Good times.

Jimzip :D