3/06/2008

i am aware they're only birds

We've had them for seven years. Buddy & Holly. Lovebirds. Quite charismatic little winged-things. They grew, we watched. They did stuff, we loved them for it. They woke us up in the mornings, but we didn't care. They conducted a cage-break, and for three minutes they were wild. They decided their little home was more for them, we rejoiced. They laid eggs, but had no luck - between you and me I think they were both male. They got sick, we worried. They recovered, we saluted their combined strength. They loved each other, and we were touched. Then Buddy died. I got teary. Mum got teary. Mark went quiet.

He had a good life. But I still wonder whether he'd have like to be set free so he could fly distances and heights and just go where he wanted. See more of the world. Fly with other birds. I know he wouldn't last long by himself. Perhaps it was knowing his cruel fate (death by predator) that stopped me. There's always Holly... I wonder how long she'll last without her life partner. I wonder if she feels the loneliness. She must...



RIP Buddy, thanks for being such a cool bird (you were always my favourite).

Dale.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs*

Sorry to hear about Buddy's demise. I did enjoy reading your tales of him though and can relate to how you feel. One day I'll have to tell you the amazing true story of Ned - my adopted goldfish.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Buddy! I remember one of my budgies dying when I was a kid too.

So anyway, just thought you deserved a comment because I've just discovered your blog. Keep up the good work! Feel free to email me :)

Kyle from Canada

Jesicka309 said...

Mark 'went quiet'?
lol i am merely commenting on the 'went' part.

sorry to hear about your loss. :(