3/10/2008

Some stuff I had to write for Uni.

These are two examples of "free writing" which we're being encouraged to do in my fiction writing class. The first one was associated with a text message from someone else's phone, the second was inspired by a drawing by a Japanese artist whose name I can't recall. It wasn't Yoshi or anything though - I would have remembered that. It depicted a relatively small wooden boat in the midst of great, over-arching waves (with a mountain in the background which I didn't have time to work in to my story...)
Anyway, here's the first one.

"Ah, the bane of my highschool existence..."

It haunts me still. The days that dragged on longer than any elastic band could stretch; the all-consuming boredom of learning about chlorafil; the politics and ridiculous pecking orders that left many the aspiring bird wingless and completely without inventive metaphors*. Yes, it was not long ago, but it seems like a fuzzy blur of mundane somethingness. It was a time before now, but after before... It was highschool.

That's where I was when I ran out of time.
Here's the next one.

He was lucky to have survived this long anyway. The years of scouring the ocean for his fishy livelihood had been pockmarked by hints of his good fortunate coming to an end. He looked across at his friends, tugging desperately at the oars, oblivious to the hopelessness of it all. The waves towered over them and each blow against the stern of their insignificant vessel knocked them about with increasing veracity. Even clinging on wouldn't save them now. He knew that the death of his boat was imminent too. Already there were cracks in the hull; it wouldn't hold together much longer before it was smashed apart entirely. He looked to the sky and there he saw an angel. He knew he would be alright.

And that's when I ran out of time for that one...
The angel** in the sky was because there was a cloud that looked person-shaped. Actually, I'll try and find the picture... *google image search* I found it... But it looks a bit different. Think it was reversed too. Ah well, here it is.


And that's it for now. Just thought I'd share a little. :)

Thanks for letting me,

Dale.

* "completely without inventive metaphors" inspired by something Luke wrote once... Don't get your lawyers on me!
** not sure if angels are prominent in Japanese culture, but it's free writing so it can't be completely error free!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic writing. I remember doing the same "free writing", except we called it speed-writing, in high school. It's more difficult than one would think, so bravo! Looks like you've found your niche.

Cheers,
Kyle

Anonymous said...

I won't sue this time as it's confirmation I've successfully infiltrated your subconscious. Now to initiate phase 2... use this power to get you to eat more Moro chocolate bars (I feel it's an underrated chocolate). Hey, not all my plans are evil. :)

Fave line: It was a time before now, but after before... If I'd written that I might've sued. Oh and congrats to whoever came up with GosPauls. Genius!

Anonymous said...

I can't pinpoint it but I feel the style of both are similar whilst being written from different perspectives. I'm thinking 'wistful lamentations' or 'multiplicity-metaphored morose musings'.

The teacher in me (who am I kidding there's only teacher there) doesn't mean to single you out and I do recognise that this is a hurried piece but I have a suggestion concerning the following usage of 'veracity'.

...knocked them about with increasing 'veracity'...

Veracity means truth. I'd go for vivacity (which means animation) or ferocity. Tumultuousness? lol.

...I secretly wish I was doing your course!

Nice work though :) Maybe I'll blog again one day. I like how blogger lets me choose an identity when posting comments. I could be anyone I wanted to be!