1/19/2010

an exercise in second person

Come, take a walk with me. A walk down an uncertain path along which anything could, and may, happen. My hand is outstretched, the path ahead of you seems ever-changing and impossible to make out. Are you walking up to me? Are you trying to take my hand? Or haven't you moved?

The path is flickering and grey and inconceivable. Indeterminable sounds can be heard. A feeling of panic is likely settling in. Is your vision narrowing to a tunnel? Are you starting to feel things are happening at your peripherals? Things you can no longer see? Come, quick. Hurry.

* * *

You fall, back into your body, and wake up. You were dreaming, think it was just a normal dream. You don't think this for long.

5 comments:

Dale said...

I can see why there have been relatively far fewer second person narratives than their more popular counterparts (first & third). It's difficult to tell the reader, pretty much explicitly, what is happening to "them". And if I had to give the reader, the "you", a voice - well, that would be a challenge.

Luke Davidson said...

Interesting. I was trying to think of books written that way - are the choose your own adventure books done in that style? Also I think there's a book (maybe called 'things we didn't see coming' that's done in another weird style I don't know the name of. First person collective?. Anyway it's on my to read list so will let you know!) Liking the new layout. Hope it leads to more posting. :p

Luke Davidson said...

Ok, I was close on the style of writing - it's called first person plural, but I was wrong on the name of the book. It's actually called: Then we came to the end.

Dale said...

Heh, so maybe what I wrote above isn't technically second person because I included a 'me' and a 'my'... Yes I read a few of those creepy 'choose your own adventure' books when I was younger. Well, at least 6 months younger. :)

Jimzip said...

Yeah you're right, I've never read a book in that style except for the CYOA books. Of course you get it all the time when dialogue happens in a book, or when, like in Harry Potter, there's a little imaginary sequence - but there the writer is still talking to the character, not you the reader. You're only temporarily put in the character's place.

It's a difficult style to write in, and a harder style to read in I think, as it's very confronting. In the way you've written it this entry seems easier to get into though, because it's written kinda gently.

Fun little exercise!

Jimzip :D