12/14/2006

Intolerance of Intolerance - Pt. 4

Then I closed my mouth again, changing my mind. It wasn’t in my nature to speak up in these situations. But then the older lady muttered something about the Fijian woman under her breath and it tipped me over the edge. Screw it, I thought. I knew I wouldn’t be happy with myself if I didn’t stand up for what I believed in.
“She’s right you know,” I say to the older lady and nodding in the direction of the Fijian woman.
The Fijian woman smiled at me - I could tell she was grateful that I had spoken up too. She mouthed a “thank you” at me.
The older lady’s face seemed to twist up in a mixture of shock and rage, her anger re-ignited, “You have no right to speak to me you stupid boy!”

Feeling the brunt of the older lady’s outburst I realised just how strong and brave the Fijian woman had been.


I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself; I knew I wouldn’t achieve anything if I let my own anger get the better of me. Forcing myself to look at her again, I said, “She has just as much a right to sit where she wants as you do. You’re no more deserving of anything than she is.” I was surprised at how eloquently I spoke considering how mad I was, and all the things that I could have said. And all the things she deserved to be told.
The older lady let loose another barrage of verbal abuse on me. It almost looked as though her tongue was actually that of a snake’s rather than a human’s. I just looked away, trying to ignore her. Nothing I said would get through, and the moment I realised that I felt quite sad.


Suddenly the bus slowed down and pulled onto the side of the road, but not at a bus stop. The bus driver turned around to the older lady and said, “Look, I don’t have to listen to you on this bus okay? So just be quiet.” The way the bus driver spoke to the older lady so abruptly gave me a strange sense of satisfaction. I hadn’t been aware that she’d been watching and listening to what was going on. She called the Asian girl to her and had a brief discussion. I saw her motion to one of the other front seats, offering it to her so that she was further away from the older lady, but she declined and walked back to where she’d been, opposite me.

The bus took off again, and not much else was said by anyone. The older lady indignantly picked up her bags and made a show of placing them on the seat which the Asian girl initially tried to sit in. I hear the girl sitting behind the bus driver, who'd been reading, tell her that the older lady once spat on another passenger.

When the Fijian woman, the Asian girl and I stood up to get off the bus at the station, the older lady looked out the window and said, “Good riddance.” I looked at her in disbelief and pity.

The three of us ended up on the same train carriage too, and the Asian girl who I hadn’t heard speak went over to the Fijian woman and thanked her, then looked at me and nodded a “thanks” too.

Whilst I was happy that I’d spoken up, for most of the train ride I felt a mixture of feelings. Part of me felt ashamed that a member of my community could be so ignorant, part of me felt depressed that that level of intolerance still existed, and another part of me felt naïve for not realising that racism and elitism were still so prominent in society.
Luckily I had a great afternoon, but even the high from that wasn’t enough to stop me from not sleeping very well that night.


I realised in the morning though, that I did the right thing, and I felt proud of myself. I was also reassured and inspired by knowing that people like the Fijian woman are out there doing the right thing. I decided that next time I won’t hesitate to speak up.

9 comments:

Paul said...

I'd like to say when the old ladies generation dies off the worst will be over, but hate and ignorance tends to breed hate, sullyinh the water so this notion is simply another fairy tail the offended tell themselves.

The conceptions of our fathers are only destinguished from our own by choice. Change needs a catalyst else the course remains steady. Some may believe that it is currently socially unacceptable to belittle another race, unfortunately theory is not always what prevails in practice and they would be very mistaken in this assumption.

We are the youth of the nantion with the means to stamp out such trivial ideologies, yet remain powerless in our current divided state. War once brought the youths voices together echoing their contempt throughout the land. Our generation has faced its wars, yet we as a whole remained silent.

Our silence is deafing, society has desensitised us. Thus i fear there is nothing that can awaken out outrage. As long as intolerance is tolerated, as long as injustice is ignored, the plights of the nameless shall go unheard.

Till next we meet,
Paul

: : Wendz : : said...

I'm so proud of you Dale, it takes alot of courage and strength to speak up to an unknown, and mind my words "bitch of society"...I seriously congratulate your sense of multiculturism australia.

To keep cool, and say the right words to pinpoint such intolerance, requires high IQ and EQ, and I believe you have them both.

From another member of the society, I thank you for your tolerance to societys' intolerance.

Well Done
And sorry if any of my previous comments felt mean in any way...I do tend to be a bit wacky online HEHE

Cheers
Wendy

Anonymous said...

and then he woke up and discovered it was all a dream ...

Paul said...

Wendy: I would think it would be easier to speak up to an unknown, i mean your never gonna see them again.. Now if its a person you know you might be a little more apprehensive because of the possible repercussions and resentment.

PS: i don't mean to be a killjoy but he didn't really say all that much.. So i wouldn't be building up his self-righteous ego so quickly.

Putting dale back into his place :p

Dale said...

Thank you Wendy, that was a really nice thing to say. :) Although I didn't tell the story to make myself out to be some hero, or to receive compliments (but they are an added bonus!). Just felt that I needed to tell it as it was an eye-opening event for me.

And thanks Paul. If it weren't for you, who knows how good I may undeservingly feel about myself! :P

Paul said...

Its what i do :)

Anonymous said...

or was it all just a story....hmmmmm

~shan said...

i have so many comments to make but right now they are all a jumble in my mind. i guess the place to start is at the core of you retelling of this event. yes, intolerance is everywhere. i feel the world needs to change. but i do not want to world to be tolerant. because being tolerant means to put up with something. We need to do more than simply tolerate others. we need to acknowledge, understand and respect the similarities and differences between us all.

also, i am luving your blog. i dont know you from a bar of soap. i only came across your blog bc you left a random comment of mine a long time ago. but through your blog, i get to know you little by little.
isn't the internet a crazy thing? it really does make us citizens of the world...even though we both live in melbourne...

Dale said...

You make a really good point Sharyn-Ann. That comment was kind of... poignant, for lack of a better word. And I'm glad you're enjoying my blog, I check yours (and prepare myself for an unburdening of emotions) regularly too. :) it's almost as though us bloggers are sometimes sitting on a psychologists' couch and telling an imaginary shrink about what's going on in our lives and the ways in which we're feeling every time we do a blog.

*bows emphatically towards LouLou* thank you, thank you.
*blows kisses Andre Agassi-style to an imaginary audience* i love you all.