1/23/2007

The Uni and the Dale

The morning of the 16th of January – I give mum her birthday card and presents, have breakfast, shower, and then turn on the computer. I go to the VTAC website, enter in my application and PIN numbers. I tap my fingers impatiently on the desk as I wait for the page to load. After a minute it’s done. I skim-read through to the important part and find what I was looking for; I’d got in. I lean back in my chair and breathe a sigh of relief. I’d been accepted into the Bachelor of Arts (Professional & Creative Writing) course to which I’d applied. The change of direction in my life was now confirmed. I was happy, but felt that I should be happier. My mind often doesn’t realise how good it has things. (I would insult my mind but for the fear of pissing it off and it seeking revenge by making me stupid).

The morning of the 19th of January – I get out of the car, wave good bye to mum, and walk in what I hope is the direction of the building where I’m supposed to enrol. After consulting a few information boards and disagreeing with where they said I was standing, I find a sign that says “Building X is that-a-way”. (Well it didn’t say “that-a-way”, but had an arrow pointing in the direction… You get this gist.) The sign turned out to be trustworthy, and I located the ominously named structure. To my disappointment, the building was not in the shape of a giant X, but of a regularly shaped lecture theatre. I walk in, sit down, and listen to a lady explain what a lecture is, what a tutorial is, and point out the differences between high school and uni life for the second, and hopefully final, time. Eventually she begins to talk about the actual course, so I stop subtly checking out the other people in the room and actually listen. I discover that I’ll have to study “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time” – a text that I studied in Year 12 – once again. I did contemplate burning my English notes at one stage, but thankfully laziness won out and I didn’t succumb to the temptation, so they will be of use once more. I get my ID card complete with baaaaaad photo of me on it, and then go home to do the rest of my enrolment online (choosing units, filling out government forms, etc).

The morning of the 23rd of January – I decided to blog about this.

Dale. :)

2 comments:

Jesicka309 said...

hahah dale ur studying curious incident?
thats so funny coz i have ur old book
and im sorry u cant have it back coz i need it! hahahahahahaha
good work keep me updated on wat that course is like ok?
jess

bad_intelligence said...

the night of the 26th and I'm still waiting for you to scan in your ID picture and add it with this post