1/09/2007

Reconnecting

Not long ago I received an unexpected Myspace message. It was from someone called Nathan. I’d only ever really known one Nathan in my life, and he’d been my best friend from Prep to Grade 2 or 3 in primary school, before he moved to Queensland. He came to mind when I read the name but I ruled out the possibility that it could actually be him – I mean, what are the chances? So when I discovered that it truly was him (and not some random who’d just become another number in my Myspace friend total) I got a bit excited. How had he been? What is he doing now? What kind of person would he be? Would we still get along after more than ten years apart? So I replied, and just like that we started corresponding again.

We began talking on msn not long after the first Myspace message. Finding out about him has been very interesting, and it turns out that he’s someone who I can definitely see myself being friends with. We seem to get along pretty well. If only we weren’t separated by about 2,000 kilometres! I know talking on msn is one thing, and talking in real life is another, but I think I’ve gotten a good feel for what he’s like during our conversations of late.

It’s fascinating to me that friends from so long ago, from when we were both so young, can still be compatible after spending so many years apart, and after growing up in somewhat different worlds. I don’t know if it’s just coincidence, if like-minded people naturally group together, or if the core aspects of a person don’t really change that much over time, but whatever it is I’m glad we’ve reconnected. It was quite a pleasant and unexpected twist of fate, and I’m looking forward to getting to know Nathan even better. Ten plus years of stuff to catch up on will keep me occupied for quite some time I imagine. :)

Dale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)

That sums it up I think lol.

If I were a serial blogger like you I may have written about "Reconnecting" too. Alas, I am not a bloghead - as you shall now be known - but I do intend to occupy you to the best of my ability.

Nathan.

~shan said...

i used to live in Adelaide (dont hold it against me) and in the 10 years i've lived here in Melbourne, i've only been back about 5 times. but everytime i go back i make sure i catch up with one particular friend. And its always the same: perfect. we dont need to catch up on the mundane details of our lives (are you still working at kmart? how's your course going? etc) its like we've never been apart. even though i only see her once every 2 yrs or so, she's still one of my closest friends and i love that about our friendship.

i'll stop being all sentimental and mushy now...