4/04/2007

Outline of "Disgrace"

Lucy is a young woman who lives in rural, post-apartheid South Africa. She runs minds dogs and sells flowers for a living. In Disgrace her father, David (the narrator of the the story), comes and lives with her for a short while. During his stay they experience an attack by three African men. David is set on fire and Lucy is raped. She decides not to press charges because she recognises how futile, and potentially even more dangerous, it would be to do so. She keeps the child that eventuates.
Her neighbour is a respected African man who used to work for Lucy named Petrus. It turns out that one of Lucy's rapists is his wife's brother; Pollux. Pollux is mentally deficient. Pollux moves in with Petrus one day.
Lucy concedes to an offer from Petrus to live with him, for protection.

This summary is getting disjointed and crap... Well it is 2am and I've just got home from work, so it's allowed to be I suppose. I can't be brilliant all the time. :P

Disgrace is centred around (and focalised through) David's character, and as such we can't learn all that much about Lucy and her thoughts, let alone her ethics. One can only assume. Lucy's role in the story is just one part of David's journey (if you can call it that).

It is an extremely well-written novel that confronts the reader. It is also very philosophical and encourages thought (as all good Literary Studies texts should!). Particularly about 'the other' and colonialism for those of you who are so-minded.

I'm tired now.

Me.

Zzzz...

5 comments:

: : Wendz : : said...

yeh quite disjointed and....um crap :P JK
the best sentence that tells all :"David is set on fire and Lucy is raped" eh absolutely love it, short, simple and to the point. I admire ur...um summary skills
Cheers
Wendy

Dale said...

Well my summary skills have been known to sweep people off their feet and make others swoon, Wendy. So yeah... I have no point. :)

Good to hear from you again!

: : Wendz : : said...

ARRR swooning >.<
Well thank your dear friend Paul, I hadn't been checking back at blogs for ages.
Nice to hear your summary skills...have no point :P
Cheers
Wendy

Anonymous said...

'"I've been waiting for you,
To capture my imagination
Cos I've been fooled by the illusions in my head."

Trapt - Waiting.

(Yes, I'm gonna have annoying lyrics at the ends of my posts that try to sound profound, so deal with it!)' - dale (Tuesday the 22nd of August 2006, around 11:38pm)

Jesicka309 said...

dale! tis been too long since a post....... *angry face*
oy make sure u drive ur brother 2 my house 2moz, so i can say hi :)
lol AND MAKE SURE U POST COZ IM BORED
lol catchya luv jess