11/08/2008

A woman has won my heart

She is blonde.
She is lithe.
And she is Elvish...

She is Valeina, my character on Warhammer Online.
Ain't she just the prettiest?


Lara Croft can go polish her lame guns somewhere else as far as I'm concerned!

You should totally check out the cinematic trailer for the game to see the character Valeina's based on. She has the most awesomest fight scene I reckon. This sentence will take you there.

The trailer explains it, but basically there are three races and each are in the midst of war. The good guys from each race have united under Order, and the baddies under Destruction. The races are men, dwarves and elves.

Valeina is a Shadow Warrior (and of course fighting for Order). She'll shoot you with her arrows from afar or slash you with her sword up close. So don't mess with her!

The game really feels more like a very long interactive movie.

The only computer game I've ever really come close to being nerdily obsessed over before is The Sims (1 and 2), so this has taken me by surprise. Warhammer is an MMO - see, I'm already talking the lingo - but it is much more than that too. A lot of the time you're completing missions by yourself in more traditonal RPG style. The aim is to go around each of the maps, or tiers, completing missions to advance the hopes of Order, while gaining all the experience you can. Because with experience comes new abilities and tactics. Each ability is really, really cool and not just a simple "Pikachu - Thunderbolt!" kind of effect. There are abilities that damage over time, restrict movement, decrease stats, regenerate action points, etc etc. I think the main thing is that they look really cool when you do them. :)

The multiplayer side of the game comes into play primarily for RvR (Realm vs Realm) scenarios. You fight alongside people playing as elves, dwarves and humans, against other people the dark elves, greenskins and chaos marauders. A lot of the time it's a "capture the flag" kind of deal. But each of the scenarios are really well-crafted. They're just cool!
Public Quests are also multiplayer situations. You work together with a Party of other players to acheive feats that are way too hard to do by yourself. For these you gain influence points... and I've just realised how boring this might be sounding to the "unobsessed". Sorry, I'll stop!

I just thought that since I hadn't blogged for a while, partly due to playing/watching Warhammer at Brenton's, it would be a good way to get started again. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, and for this!

I'm happy to be back though.

Dale.

7 comments:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Yeah, she's cool, but she's no Chun-Li. :p You make it sound fun.

Still, I remember reading about how some warcraft (similar mmog) players pay other people to play the game for them and do all the mindless battles so they can level up - and I just wonder, 'You're paying someone to play games for you!'.

That's one thing I liked about Zelda games (as opposed to say Final Fantasy) - you didn't need to fight weak enemies over and over simply to level up. Hope Warhammer is the same. Argh! You've got me talking nerd!

Paul said...

pfft stfu noob

Kyle said...

Yay for being back! Boo for a post about gaming.

Jesicka309 said...

lol she's a bit manly :S not my type! :p

for my radio project we interviewed ppl who were addicted to mmos - one american guy tried to commit suicide coz of WoW. pretty scary stuff.

so dont get too addicted! i dont want to be interviewing ur poor mother after u died of dehydration from playing warhammer for 40 hours continuously.

dont say i didnt warn u! :p

Jimzip said...

Hehehehehe. NERD!
I joke, I was addicted to World of Warcraft for the longest time (expansion pack comes out tomorrow!! ;) ).
I didn't know a lot of that stuff about warhammer though, and I probably won't ever play it because of my aforementioned affinity...

Aaaanyway, good to hear you geek out about this stuff as much as I do. :)

Jimzip :D

Dale said...

Luke, Chun-who? :P And yeah Warhammer's good with all the questy stuff like Zelda is.

Paul, Nerdspeak FTW.

Kyle, lose the macho bravado! There must be a game that you can't/couldn't get enough of. :)

Thanks for the words of warning Jess. And yeah I've heard how the WoW people were a bit crazily obsessed... Although I'm sure you played in a very healthy manner Jimzip. Forgive me for speaking such words about your people. :P

Kyle said...

Dale: Maybe Sim City... before I discovered all the cheats and ruined it for myself :P