12/26/2008

Merry Boxing Day!

I'm leaving! I'm off to Mildura for a holiday!! Woot! :) So if you're not seeing any posts from me until the 2nd or 3rd of January (ish), that is why. I'm attempting to water-ski for the first time which should prove to be an interesting exercise... Pictures of me falling and making ugly faces in the process will most likely eventuate.

Have to get up at 5am. Not so woot.

Had a dream last night that I thought was interesting (although I don't remember all of it now obviously) - I dreamt that I became very excited about writing a story about... *drum roll* a Ghost Worm. My dream mind was absolutely racing with the endless possible storylines and opportunities for character development. Maybe I'll have a think about it while I'm away and see what I can come up with. :)

As for my last post, that was just the gist of a story that I've been thinking about writing for a while now. And I agree Luke, it sounds very, very blurb-like. Didn't realise that until you pointed it out though. Hmm.

Time to rest my weary eyes.

Happy New Year to you all, and I hope your Christmas/Boxing Day activities were grand. By the way, if anyone could leave a comment explaining why Boxing Day is called Boxing Day for me to read when I get back and "ahhh" over, that would also be grand! Thanks. :)

Dale.

4 comments:

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Ok, that's a lottle spooky! I swear I'm not doing a Creepy Lamingtons on you BUT you know how I mentioned I'd write a new story over the Christmas break? I've only written a couple of paras, but the very first sentence is:

When your day starts with you being eaten by a 100-foot long worm with tens of mouths running along its body, you think it'd be safe to assume your day can only get better. If you were me, you'd be wrong.

(Okay that's two sentences but...) So not a ghost worm (or is it?) but it is spooky.

Verification word: Puglo (J-lo's dog?) :)

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

PS. Okay I waited a few days and still no one has answered your Boxing Day question, so here goes:

Wikipedia would tell you that: Boxing Day dates back to past centuries when it was the custom for the wealthy to give gifts to employees or to people in a lower social class, most especially to household servants.

However, I think that's rubbish. I believe Boxing Day really came about because parents would insist that everyone act nice to each other on Christmas Day - no matter how much someone annoys. Instead you should hold that anger over a day and take it out on them in the boxing ring the day after Christmas. Hence: Boxing Day.

Kyle said...

Hope you are having fun in Mildura (I confess I had to google that one)!!!

I still don't really understand how the past century custom gave it the name of "Boxing Day". Luke's explanation seems more likely....

Verification word: kinhucoi (no celebrity connection)

Jimzip said...

Hahah, Boxing Day... yeah it's always reminded me of kangaroos, but I don't have a more witty answer than Luke's so I'll just go with his.

As for the ghost worm story, I think it's hilarious when your mind gets to go nuts (usually when sleeping) and comes up with all these hilarious things that seem serious and fantastic in the dream, but kinda end up being silly in reality... LONG LIVE GHOST WORM!

Word verification: derric (sexy no?)

Jimzip :D