12/06/2008

Taste Genes


I wish I blogged more. I really do! But I don't want to force it.

I had a really nice hot chocolate this morning, at the Coffee Club. Hot chocolate as I still haven't taken the step that normally comes by - if not before - adulthood: I haven't started drinking coffee. Or tea. Also beer. I was SURE that beer would grow on me, I really was. Dad likes it so much that I assumed a partialness to beer would be in my genes somewhere. Guess not. Oh and Dad's not an alcoholic, didn't mean for it to come across that way. Hi Mum! (If you're reading this.) Speaking of Mum, she drinks a decent quantity of coffee. In many forms. So much so that some of her friends have given her the nickname "Latte Liz". (Sorry Mum :)). Although maybe the caffiene quota that my genes crave is satisfied by Coke. As for the mystery of the beer, though, maybe it's a case for someone who has the time to do some research. My brother drinks a lot of it... and I look too much like both my parents to be adopted!

Beverages to food seems like a natural progression so let's do that!

I ate at a Mexican grill food place the other day. Yes, I forgot the name. :) It just opened up at Knox. My verdict: yum but could be cheaper. Food was well presented, although not a sombrero was to be seen. I'm still not sold on how authentically Mexican 'mexican chips' are, no matter how much peri-peri-like salt you put on them. The burrito I had itself was very nice though. My tastebuds were awakened to some new tastes. Mainly 'cause I get too embarrassed to ask for food "without this, this, this, oh and that too". Lime rice and coriander were what my tongue responded positively to I think.

As for dinner tonight, Dad was going to do a good old barbeque but it's raining now so I think that plan's been scratched.

Oh how forgetful of me! Luke cooked me a souvlaki kind of thing at his house the other night, and I didn't suffer any ill-effects. To the contrary I was very satisfied with it. All of the people who were waiting for a test-bunny kind of person to try Luke's cooking before they did, you can now not be afraid! Thanks Luke. (And you're welcome guys :P).

That's it from me. Gotta make my bed. Bed-making and general room upkeep also must have skipped my generation I think.

Dale.

9 comments:

Kyle said...

Yay! I will pretend it was the positive reinforcement that did it and go ahead to take credit for the greatly reduced break time between entries :D But yes, as you say, it should be an organic process. Hee.

In terms of beverage preferences, I drink coffee and beer but not coke haha. Also, besides the fact that you don't drink coffee, I'm assuming your avoiding of requesting "this and this and this" for food would also deter you from being the type to order a "grande low-fat 1-pump half-sweet no whip no ice mocha frappuccino", or something of a similar variety. And no I don't do that. I have friends who do.

PS I can't believe that you remembered something I wrote way back in March! You knew about my blog back then? I think it was another blogger address even! I almost teared up when I read your comment, I didn't know anyone paid attention, let alone remembered, the bullshit I 'spewed' from my finger tips. K is honoured :)

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Critics rave, "Luke's cooking is non-poisonous". :) Yay!

In other news, there's still hope for you on the coffee front. I only started drinking it around 23/24. I started on hot chocolate then work friends up'd that to mochas then lattes.

Also I didn't like beer at first but somehow developed a taste for it. Little Creature Bright Ale is really good.

Jesicka309 said...

Ahhhhh Dale. No beer, or coffee? What do you drink? Water?

Lol if you want to try coffee, get a syrup in it ala caramelatte...that's the only way i can drink coffee

But the beer thing is a serious discrepency.....how on earth do you afford to drink chicks drinks when you go out???? Haha

Happy drinking! :p
luv jess

Luke! said...

How on Earth do you not drink Coffee? You're a writer for gods sakes! What kind of a writer does not drink coffee!? C'mon Dale, if you're serious about this writing career, you better get your coffee on!!! Boil that Kettle, right now!

Clearly, I'm kidding... perhaps I'm jealous that someone can function without Coffee...me on the other hand, not so much!

Paul said...

Dale you have this forum to share your voice and point of view. And you continue to use such meaningless throw away topics.

And OMG Luke and James you so cant argue with me right now because i know what you are going to say, and even after your well worded and somewhat funny retorts, the fact remains i am still right and you know it.

I say this because i believe in you dale and know you are more than this meaningless dribble you spew forth again and again. Stop living for mediocrity.

Welcome to Creepy Lamingtons: home to a mix of strange stories and articles that hopefully won't leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth. said...

Ok Paul, I won't argue (or be well worded or somewhat funny), but I do want to offer a slightly different perspective.

This may just be true of me, but I think if you put pressure on yourself to write something brilliant whenever your fingers hit the keyboard - that's a great recipe for writer's block. Whereas writing something, anything, can help get the mind going and the words flowing; can inspire other, perhaps more literary, thoughts. Sometimes it's important just to write. It doesn't always have to be Shakespeare (or Stephens).

Dale's blog switches between different styles. Sometimes it's showing off his creative skills, sometimes it has more thoughtful and reflective pieces on life and sometimes it's conversational and relaxed like this one (that I don't think are intended to be judged as writing samples). While you (and I) may generally prefer the more finessed and considered entries - it doesn't mean there's not stuff to enjoy in these relaxed pieces, too.

Jimzip said...

Hahaha. Yeah there's a place called Blenz here which does AMAZING hot chocolates. They literally shave really nice chocolate into a mug, then melt it with the hot milk... Mmmmm.

Anyway, I only started drinking coffee this year. I find a latte in the morning is really comforting, especially in winter. I don't do it so much for the caffeine ... and beer I still don't drink. People say it grows on you, but I try it every now and then and it still doesn't do it for me. I'd rather drink something I like (read rum+coke) than something I have to *learn* to like. ;)

Big comment... ending now!

Jimzip :D

Jimzip said...

Ah. I failed to read the previous posts before I added mine. ;)

Well Paul, let me just re-iterate what they say; that an overcooked turducken without cranberry sauce really does save more than the positive mind that doesn't wish for negative values without promise to be instilled...

I'm a big fan of that saying....

Jimzip :D

Kyle said...

To come to Dale's defense, I don't think there should be so much pressure to write in a certain way or style or anything at all. He can do whatever he so wishes! If you don't like it, don't read it.