6/07/2007

Et Voila!

Finally, another Daley News post! And this is not just any post, no, it’s a jumble post; containing the wonderfully random and debatably silly content you’ve come to expect on here.

Once again my apologies for the mini-hiatus (wow, off to such a good start with vocab already). I’d say it won’t happen again, but that would probably be a lie,
because well, I’m just plain lazy sometimes. So I won’t say it won’t happen again, but I will say that it possibly may not potentially occur once more. (Clearly there has to be at least one jumble sentence in a jumble post!)

I
saw an IMM on Tuesday night, and again today with Paul. It’s cal
led Summer Storm. It’s a German film, which means subtitles, but that didn’t detach from its success in engaging me. Thank you Luke for lending it to me! Oh right, what’s an IMM? It’s an “incredibly moving movie” – thought of the… acronym(?) just before. Anyway, back to the movie. I think the best way to describe it is as a very rich film. Laden with all kinds of themes – growing up and struggling with identity formation, overcoming obstacles to self-happiness, and chipping away at the “us versus them” mentality of society that divides most communities. There are a few very moving sequences (Luke, I really like the part at the youth hostel when they flash to each of the main characters and then to the places of significance over the course of their trip) and also some great moments of comedy. I recommend it to anyone who likes stories about development and self-examination.

Okay, reading this over it seems that Literary Studies is having somewhat of an impact on the way I watch movies! To summarise: Dale think film good. *thumbs up*


Public transport shits me. To tears? Not quite, but almost! Buses take forever and don’t connect with trains on time, trains are about as reliable as Tony Mokbel on the day of his trial [sidenote, although I quite like the newer ones that are really quiet and have those fancy doors and the prim and proper English-sounding lady announcing stations etc.] [Secondary sidenote, to those who thought the first sidenote was going to be about my clever reference to a current event – good try, you were almost right]. Believe it or not I actually have a point to this done-to-death rant about public transport. I got on the 1:50 train from Glen Waverley at 1:40 and sat there until 1:50 when an announcement from the train driver said:

“Due to vandalism, this train will not be running. Please de-train.”


Now, I was mightily frustrated – why couldn’t they tell us this when the train arrived instead of getting our hopes up? Did they enjoy crushing people’s punctuality ambitions? And blah blah blah, but something took the edge off my anger. The train driver had actually said “de-train”. It may very well be a word in train-driver circles/literature, but to me it was just plain funny. Does one de-car every time they get out of a car? Or de-house upon locking the front door? I imagined the train driver using such logic in his everyday life and laughed. One ‘word’ had somehow alleviated my annoyance. It could very well be a useful technique for averting passenger frustration, even though I’m pretty sure it was not the train driver’s intention, but it worked. On me at least. Not sure how many people share my sense of humour though…

To be continued...

Dale.

2 comments:

Paul said...

The French have been adding 'de' to the start of things to make them seem better. eg: de Longville

Anonymous said...

Well, I've been annoying you long enough to post something new, I better comment or I'll feel guilty!

LOL at IMM. I was scratching my head going, 'What's an IMM? Internationally Made Movie?' before i read the explanation. Glad you liked it. 'Tis true, it's an IMM. Oh! And I know the scene you're talking about. Is good. Nice and reflective-like... a pause to take in everything that's happened before heading into the conclusion. From memory, I really liked the music in that part, too. Oh, this is getting long. De-train. Yep, still funny. :)