11/05/2007

Chapter 10 - Maree Park

When the boot of the car opened again she squinted, unaccustomed to the light. To her alarm, when her eyes did adjust, she saw a gun was pointed right at her. “Get out,” she was ordered.

“Okay, okay,” Callie obeyed. She looked around - she was in some sort of factory. There were big, heavy, metallic pipes everywhere and construction tools positioned around the room. It was cold.

“Sorry missy, we’ll have to put this on you,” one of the other men from the car informed her. He put a blindfold over her eyes, and she was left in darkness again. “This way.” She was led somewhere, and she lost track of which way she was facing. Thankfully these people didn’t walk her into any walls.

“Why are you taking me here?” she asked in distress.

“Sorry, we can’t say.” Was the only reply.

All of a sudden she heard whispering and she was taken into another room, she could tell because the temperature grew a little warmer, then a new pair of hands led her to a chair where she was instructed to sit. She did as she was told and felt ropes being tied around her. “What on earth are they doing?” Callie thought to herself.

Callie had to wait a few minutes before anyone said anything to her. After those few minutes, which felt like hours, she heard an older man’s voice, “Welcome, ahh, what’s your name dear?” the voice asked with insincere interest.

“Callie,” she answered, there was no point in lying.

“Welcome Callie, I am pleased to meet you. I’ve been waiting to meet one of you three for quite some time now,” said the mysterious, faceless voice.

“What do you mean?” she questioned, trying her best to look genuinely stumped, which was hard when you had a blindfold on.

“You know what I mean. Don’t be daft with me, girl! Now, you might as well see who I am.”

“Phillips, remove the blindfold off the young lady,” the voice commanded.

Sure enough the blindfold was removed and Callie saw an Asian man wearing a business suit standing in front of her. The voice had a face at last. “And you are?” she questioned.

“Does the name Hartono, ring a bell?” he smiled destructively.

“You… you’re him?” Callie stuttered, a shocked look appeared on her face.

“Yes, it is true. You’re lucky, you’re the first one of the little brats to have the pleasure of meeting me,” he said conceitedly.

“You are so up yourself,” Callie said with a sudden hatred. It was time to outsmart him, time to use her power. She didn’t care how much it hurt; she had to get an advantage over him. She concentrated and, yes, she had it!

Just as Mr. Hartono was going to say something, Callie interrupted him, “No, I have a proposition for you.”

Mr. Hartono gawked at her, “My-my, you are a smart one. Go on, what’s your deal?”

“Untie me, I need to show you,” Callie explained, hoping that he was dumb enough to fall for it.

“Nice try, Kelly,” she wasn’t in luck.

“It’s Callie,” she corrected.

“Callie, whatever. How foolish do you think I am? Now you listen to me.” Mr. Hartono scratched his head. “Now, I didn’t want to have to do this, but I’m afraid I have no choice. You see I have to be at a very important meeting today…”

“Where?” interrupted Callie.

“None of your business, I’m afraid.” She read his mind again, Maree Park. Somehow, she had to tell the others.

“Oww,” she winced. Her power was hurting her head again.

“Aww, in pain are we? Well you’ll be in even more pain unless you tell me where your friends are.” Mr. Hartono said unsympathetically

“Larry, can you come out here. I want you to meet somebody,” he beckoned to someone hiding in a dark corner of the room.

“Larry, Callie. Callie, Larry.” Mr. Hartono introduced. “Larry is a good friend of mine.” He went on, grinning at her, “You’ll like Larry.”

The man who walked from the corner of the room looked like he was a bodybuilder or a wrestler because he was so muscular. He cracked his knuckles whilst walking over to her. Mr. Hartono did the talking, “If you’re smart you’ll tell me where your friends are and what they’re doing. If you’re not, Larry here will introduce you to his fists.”

Callie thought it over, she couldn’t betray her friends no matter what, “I don’t know,” she said, “if one of us gets caught, we move, so it doesn’t happen again.”

“She’s lying!” Mr. Hartono accused. “Larry, you know what to do,” he said, not taking his eyes off Callie.

Larry was just about to swing a punch when another man walked into the room and whispered something in Mr. Hartono’s ear. “Wait!” Mr. Hartono instructed. “It looks like your friends have made it easier for us.” Callie had no idea what he was talking about.

“Bring them in,” Mr. Hartono ordered.

Callie could not believe her eyes. Brant and Amy were led into the room, and they both looked the worse for wear.

“Guys!” Callie said in dismay. “What have you done?”

“Sorry,” Amy uttered, not making eye contact with her.

“Three down, two to go,” Mr. Hartono laughed out loud.

4 comments:

Dale said...

I think the story's picking up cos I'm getting excited about what's going to happen again! (Can't remember too well) :)

Anonymous said...

Haha. Be interesting to see if you surprise yourself with any twists you'd forgotten. But yes, I'm excited to see what's going to happen next too.

And aren't Callie and Kelly pretty much pronounced the same? Or have I been mispronouncing it in my head?

PS. I now want to write something where the bad guys blindfold someone and then make them walk into walls!

Dale said...

Hahahaha, yeah I found that part amusing and the whole "difficult to look stumped while wearing a blindfold" thing too.

There's a subtle difference that you'd notice if your name was Callie. :)

Dale said...

Oh and my Mum's middle name happens to be Maree for those playing at home. Plus I used to live on Stradella Avenue (previous post).