11/25/2007

DISCovery

As far as clever titles go I think I’ve truly out-done myself with this one…

Thursday morning I awake at 4.40am in preparation for my 5.30 start at maccas. I was going to write a post “How to do an ‘open’ shift at McDonalds” but thought better of it. So here’s the abridged version! :p

Turn on fry vats, affix the drink nozzles to the drink machines, start up the espresso machine, fill milk of espresso machine, make up berrynice yoghurts & bases for real fruit smoothies & garden salads, brew filter coffee, bring up hash browns from freezer and get them ready for cooking, retrieve breakfast stuffs like jam, hotcake syrup, knives/forks etc, fill ice, make a fresh cloth bucket, check there’s enough stock to last for a couple of hours, make a stock list, get changed, count a cash draw, put on a headset, and be ready to start taking orders at 6.00! Thirty minutes is not a lot of time to get that achieved. I can tell you!

I finish working at 2.00.

I go home and eat something.

I head to JB at Knox with Mum and we buy a really cool Pioneer MP3/CD tuner unit (with a sleek blue display) and two speakers for my car. Set a date for installation a week or two before December 25th and there we have my main Christmas present.

I take it out of the box and look at it when I get home, skimming through the instructions and reading about the features and everything. I’m suitably impressed.

I pick up Paul at 8.30 – we’re going to Next. He tries to adjust his seat.

“I think I just found your CD player…”

He gets out and peers into the space below the passenger seat.

He discovers a 6 stacker Pioneer CD player.

I guffaw.

Had the car for three weeks and didn’t know.

Am now waiting until I find an in-car DVD player/GPS navigator/mini-fridge.

Pick up Kate and drive into the city listening to the new Jimmy Eat World on my sneaky CD player. Having a good night at Next with friends from my first highschool. Alan tackles Sean to the ground spilling a drink all over someone I didn’t know. But it is cool. There is a bit of jostling for the affections of a young girl. I’m entertained. Paul wears freaky contact lenses and tells everyone he has cancer. :)

Drive home with original people plus Kaitelyn. She explains the spelling but I forget. My car loses its drive-thru virginity whilst under my ownership – I’m back at a McDonalds again. The silly drive thru boy forgets to give us Sweet & Sour sauce. Drive past my old house and all of the schools I’ve ever been too. I become nostalgic but not so much so that I drift into the other lane and collide with another car. No, all my passengers remain unsquished. I deliver them home safely.

I excitedly write a note to Mum when I get home at about 3.00am for her to read in the morning.

I sleep.

2 comments:

Paul said...

The note was about? the cd player? You think your starts are bad, we are expected to put in 10 registers + the draw (main cash to give change to the registers) in 15 minutes with only two people. And dont get me started on AD days gah, who ever thought up the bright idea of roof hanging signs is an asshole.

Anonymous said...

You guys think your starts are bad. I arrive around 9.20, make some breakfast, read my horoscope, check my email and then go get a coffee. All that's done in just under an hour. Yep, your starts are bad. Losers. :p

Paul's freaky contact lenses/illness is evil/awesome. Points also for DISCovery. And the new layout is... new. (I decided it might be fun to fuel your indecisiveness.) :p