11/11/2006

(Alcohol assisted) Confidence!

Ok, so I went out last night to a club in the city. This was despite being told to stay home with my younger brother by my parents who are away in Adelaide. They're celebrating their anniversary by taking a well-deserved break from their troublesome offspring (ie. me and Mark, but mainly me!). But it's not the fact that I was rebellious and went out that this is about, it's about what happened.

If you've been out somewhere with me you'll know that I'm not that great at picking up - it's only happened once! - because I get shy and nervous when I see someone I like. Well last night a few interesting things took place:

The person I picked up (a month or so ago) was there. This wouldn't have been so awkward if that night I met them I hadn't walked off, promised to return, and then didn't come back! So I spent a decent while hiding behind my friends and trying to make my face look different by doing strange facial expressions, in the hope they wouldn't recognise me! I managed to successfully avoid them for about an hour before I accidentally made eye contact and they started to walk towards me. A few thoughts went through my head - should I pretend not to remember? Should I pretend I'm in a relationship? Should I run away in case they're angry and are contemplating attacking me? (ok, not so likely I know, but even on a good day I'm not the most rational person!). I went with the second option, and it worked. They left me alone after about a minute or two of semi-awkward conversation. Phew! No bruises/slap marks/sore genitalia for Dale!

The few people I knew who were there, knew a lot of other people, and I found myself able to talk to these other people I didn't yet know with relative ease. Didn't feel uncomfortable or anything. I was completely content with myself and the way I was interacting with them, which is pretty much a first for me. Possibly made a few new friends! I was even able to approach and talk to someone that I liked the look of! We talked for quite a while and got along pretty well. The whole situation worked out a whole lot better than how I imagined it would play out. Apparently I'm likable after all. Oh, and I have nice teeth... :) Nothing happened between me and the person I liked the look of, but in the end I didn't really mind. I was just happy that I took the first step - even if it was aided by alcohol.

Finally, Dale is gradually building in confidence! Look out world. :P

Smooth Operater.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice teeth lol, ow thats all the person could complement you on!

- there that should have reversed any progress you have made with yourself.

~shan said...

Good for you on the Confidence Boost.
Care to pass that confidence along to someone else?
wow. that sounded vaguely like a bad pick up line. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dale...two kudos for you HOORAY!
You're better than me by far, what club did you go to anyways? And what did you do with your little brother then, lock him in a closet till you got back? LOL
If alcohol is the way to go...then it's worth continuing then.
Cheers
Wendy