11/24/2006

Daley News Star: Paul!

I've known Paul since Year 10 when I moved to Knox, although admittedly I didn't get to know him that well until some stage during Year 12. It was the best of days; it was the blurst of days... Haha, nah I can’t remember the exact day that I realised that he was actually someone I could see myself getting along well with, but I guess that’s really not that important. Before that day I saw him as some kind of insanely (and annoyingly) good poker player. Although he was not quite so good at 8-square... Guess you can’t have the best of both worlds of recreational lunch time activities. :)

Anyway, our English class was the medium that helped a friendship develop. I found that what he lacked in spelling and grammar, he made up for in insight, and in his ability to get to the crux of an issue or theme to come up with an astonishingly meaningful and poignant response. He challenged me to think differently, and being the uber-competitive person that I am, made me strive to do even better – so I could beat him! But as the year progressed we more frequently sat next to each other, and not just because I wanted to learn from his viewpoints, but because I’d come to quite enjoy his company.

It’s no secret that I’m a shy person. In fact, anyone who says that I’m not probably doesn’t really know me at all. Anyway, every now and then I come across a person who I feel completely comfortable around, who I can just be myself with and open up a little more than I normally would. Paul is definitely one of those people. Sometimes I think I’m more myself when I’m with Paul than I am with anyone else. I’m not exactly sure why this is, but I think he just gets me. He understands that I’m not always going to be bucket-loads of fun or brimming with conversation, and I think knowing that helps me to relax and makes me feel like I don’t have to watch what I say, or worry that he might think I’m a dag for saying it. Although I’m pretty sure he already does think I’m quite a tool! He puts up with my toolishness, but I deservingly cop a fair bit of flack for it from him. One day I’ll come up with a decent comeback Paul, one day! :)

So in summary, Paul:

  • Sends very long text messages.
  • Is a very caring person (behind the sarcasm).
  • Is very witty, especially when compared to me.
  • Slaves away at Kmart for now, but is bound for much bigger & better things in his future.
  • Will hopefully let me mooch off him when he’s become rich from his amazing future!
  • Understands me, and makes me feel good about myself.
  • Is a much better friend to me than I am to him (I’m working on it)
  • Needs to show me how he cheats at poker. :P
  • Will hopefully pretend to like the present I get him for his birthday – which is today!
  • Has a very large... vocabulary.
  • And is one of, if not, my very best friends.


Happy birthday Paul, you deserve to have a fantastical (wow... spellcheck agrees with fantastical, yet not with ‘spellcheck’...) day. Don’t worry, Paul will forgive me for ruining a nice sentiment with a stupid little sidenote, because that’s the kind of person he is!

*claps*

Dale.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Thanks dale, that was umm.. "fantastical"...

I'd rather you not talk about my crux in public, somethings should remain between us lol...

Dale = shy person hmm... apparently i know you better than you know yourself. All you need is a push and sometimes not even that! *thinks of what you did after i left last night*, shy my ass!

Hehehe thanks for the claps :) but no skipping :(

: : Wendz : : said...

agree Paul has quite a character and definitely sarcasm....
However...you make it sound like you two are meant for each other
and yeah I can't judge who you are, I don't really know you at all.
HAHA u gonna copy this to your myspace now LOL
Cheers
Wendy

Anonymous said...

dale sucks at updating

Paul said...

Leave him alone, writing isn't his thing... ow wait!

Paul said...

:( its been pushed off the screen how sad...