5/08/2007

Long and... Sour?

Okay, so my last blog wasn't so much a blog as a quick comment, so I've decided to do one dedicated simply to my assignments for uni this semester - both completed and upcoming. Woah, that caused quite a hub-bub. I know my assignments are an immensely interesting blog topic, but geez guys, take it down a notch!

I'm doing three units this semester and each have two assignments. Shockingly, that's a total of six assignments. Three have bee completed and handed in (pretty much on time) and I've received two back. I like the marking system they have at uni; 80% and above earns you a high distinction or HD, as we trendy uni-types call it. 60-69% is a credit, and 70-79% is a distinction (I won't mention the lower grades for fear of jinxing myself).

Anyway, that's all common knowledge for most of my friends so I'll get to the point. My Literary Studies assignment which required a creative piece plus critical appendix (based on the continuation of a set text) came back with a 79% - 1% off a HD! But I was really rapt with that. You can see the creative piece on here if you haven't already and doing so tickles your fancy (see Lucy's Plight link in previous blog). My Writing for Professional Practice assignment, which was based on the social revolution being caused by the mobile phone and the ways in which it is changing communication and language, I just got back from tutor Stu today. I was gob-smacked when he put it down in front of me. Then I smiled a smile larger than I thought possible. I didn't have high expectations so when I saw "HD" (80%) and "excellent essay" I was pleasantly surprised! The third assignment, for Reading, Writing and Language, was my fiction piece titled "Loss" that I published not too long ago and can be found on here also. I expect to get it back next week - legs crossed my good streak continues!

Just briefly, because I've rattled on for long enough now, the assignments that lie ahead are:
  • A critical essay (1500 words) in response to a text studied this semester for Literary Studies. Due May 14.
  • A folio (500 word report, 250 word media release, 250 word news story) about a fictional township conflict scenario for Writing for Prof. Practice. Due May 25.
  • A creative non-fiction piece/feature article (1500 words) with an emphasis on conflict within an interpersonal relationship for Reading, Writing and Language. Due June 1.
So yeah! I'll be a busy little boy.

Dale.

7 comments:

Jesicka309 said...

yawn
isnt uni boring?
luv jess

Paul said...

Probably not a good thing that your hearing voices dale…

I hope your not attempting to complain about how many assignments you have dale, because to be honest for a person who does 3 units, goes to uni 2 days a week (+ no longer has that lecture on monday) and only does 16 hours at work you dont have much to complain about!

Trying to fill that quota i see, very well.

Anonymous said...

Aww Dale, I want to sleep but work won't let me. :( It's not fair. I mean, what about all the other times I've been at work and haven't been asleep. That should count for something...

Anywho! Congrats on the good grades. I was waiting for Paul to accuse your teachers of ego rubbing. :p Lucy's plight was awesome so well deserved! :)

Disappointed the other assignments aren't fiction based - looking forward to some more fictional Dale goodness. (Not that you're fictional - meh, you get the idea.) Oh hey! Had an idea! You could do your interpersonal conflict peice on your toothpaste battle.

Paul said...

Hmm now that you mention it luke... :P

Dale said...

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. More of a no this year though, Jess, which is magnifique *thumbs up*

Hearing voices? Paul... What are you on aboot? :) And yes yes, I know my uni/work commitments are pretty breezy compared to some, but I'm pretty lazy compared to most!

Luke, I think that for every hour that you don't sleep at work you should earn one minute of time that you are allowed to sleep, thereby accumulating sleep time throughout the year. Hmm, I may have just unlocked the secret to a whole new kind of productivity (very very very low productivity).
Thanks for the conshmats. And I'll be doing more fiction before the semester is up so yeah... do whatever it is you do when you receive happy news.

And Paul... put your tongue away.

Me!

Paul said...

But if I put my tongue away I can't sing the american national anthem...

"Woah, that caused quite a hub-bub. I know my assignments are an immensely interesting blog topic, but geez guys, take it down a notch!" – voices dale.

AdamMac said...

Stop playing around with your template and do your assignment!