5/06/2007

May 3 – The rest of it [introducing the Nokia E65]


The remainder of May 3 was pretty low key. I got out of bed at eleven-ish, and went through the motions of waking up. My bedroom was not looking so neat. It was as though the clothes, wrapping paper and shoes had been having wild clothes/wrapping paper/shoe sex over the past four hours. I considered tidying but realised it was my birthday, and one doesn’t tidy on one’s birthday, so with careful foot placement I made my way out of my room. There were two balloons tied festively to a chair at the breakfast table, which I appreciated, but the chair wasn’t where I wanted it so I switched it around with another so I could see the TV (Will & Grace was on – couldn’t ask for a much better start to the day). Did other boring stuff before checking out my myspace and feeling grateful for all the birthday wishes, then I blogged the blog before this one [thanks people for all the birthday wishes there too :)] and then mum got home from work and it was time to go get my main birthday present – a new phone!

Made our way to the 3 shop in Glen Waverley, answered a lot of questions (including “how long have you lived at your current residence?” to which I answered in a moment of realisation “Twenty” whilst thinking Man, I am old...), signed a bunch of forms (may or may not have my soul anymore, not too sure), and was presented with a brand-spanking, new-fangled, super-awesome Nokia E65. Two words: it slides. That pretty much explains the rationale behind why I got it. Haha, no I’m not serious (much), it has heaps of other cool features too. Plus it’s better than my brother’s phone. :)


Ventured home phone in lap, assembled and plugged the charger into the wall at first available opportunity despite being ravenously hungry for lunch. After quickly reading over the manuals and 3 brochures, and sliding the phone up and down repeatedly mum and I ate lunch including a delicious vanilla slice – confirming my theory that food tastes better when you have a superior piece of technology in your possession.


Paul came around at
3:40, right on time. Although to be honest the fact that he was coming had slipped my mind – such was the excitement over new phone (sorry Paul). Anyway, enjoyed and appreciated his company immensely. It’s always good to see you best friend, but even better when they skip a university class to do so on your birthday! He bestowed upon me gifts three. All will be put to good use eventually... somehow. Paul left.

Dinner arrangements were up to me. I had no clue what I wanted to eat, but felt that because I was now twenteen I should be mature and go out somewhere rather than just settling for a fast food substitute. Ended up at
Sofia’s in East Burwood. I had a bourbon and coke and a disgusting glass of wine over dinner and felt very grown up, especially watching Mark with his Pepsi. Ordered spaghetti carbonara – mistake. I had never seen such a gargantuan pile/mountain of pasta in my life, and I ordered the small size! I reckon I ate about a sixth of it. It was kind of embarrassing when the waiter person asked if everyone was finished while looking straight at me and seeing the condescending look in their eyes when I said yes – as if he was secretly saying “So you think you could devour an entire serving of one of our ridiculously sized meals? Well we sure showed you,” whilst proceeding to scoff, tip his head back and laugh maniacally (all in a French way).

Made it home, was sung happy birthday to before a white chocolate cake with a 2 in the middle and ten candles around the outside. It was touching, and I realised it more this time than others for some reason. I wished for my family to live happily and healthily for many, many, many years to come.


Eventually bade everyone good night (including my phone) and went to bed to dream contented birthday dreams.

2 comments:

Paul said...

'The clothes, wrapping paper and shoes had been having wild clothes/wrapping paper/shoe sex over the past four hours' - tends to happen if not correctly chaperoned.

'Although to be honest the fact that he was coming had slipped my mind' - i get it something shiny distracted your concentration, tends to happen, im used to it.

'So you think you could devour an entire serving of one of our ridiculously sized meals? Well we sure showed you' - debating whether to comment... Its amusing to watch how your mind works..

Dale said...

My mind works in mysterious ways sometimes. Other times it's just plain boring.

Like now.

Me!