5/18/2007

Surreal moment of bonding


The teenage girls from Next Door play their music loudly at times. At first it was unbearable poppy stuff, then it evolved – if you can call it that – to pop/punk. Thankfully and surprisingly the girls now have similar tastes in rock music to me.

It was night, around 8 or 8.30, I had to pee; I went into the bathroom. Before I did anything Next Door’s music caught my ear. It was Three Days Grace’s “I hate everything about you”. I stood there listening. I could hear one of the girls singing. She wasn’t a great singer, or an awful one, but her voice was raw and emotional. She wasn’t just singing it for the sake of singing it. Her feelings echoed the words. I was moved. I wasn’t feeling angry towards anyone in particular, but after a little I joined in, singing just under my breath. At first I almost felt like I was invading a personal moment, but eventually I felt like I was sharing one with her – despite it being unbeknownst to her.

We don’t spend much time with Next Door, or have all that much to do with them besides being polite, but I felt particularly close to Siobhan or Nicole that night. Just standing motionless in the bathroom; having a surreal moment of one-sided bonding.

Dale.


2 comments:

Jesicka309 said...

lol dale ur weird

i hope they never read this or they might move away :S

Paul said...

She just plays music so she doesn't have to hear you pee.