5/14/2007

Why did it feel weird?

It was some time ago now (possibly a month) but I still remember it. Possibly because I wrote it down to remind myself, but nevertheless, I still remember!

It was one-ish in the morning and I'd just finished a close shift at maccas, and a girl at least three years younger than me who I was working with - I can't remember her name now... It may have been something starting with C or N, or it may have been something completely different - needed a lift home. She was waiting for the manager to finish but she was clearly going to be a while still so I offered to take her, knowing that I wouldn't want to have to wait around at that place if I could avoid it. She accepted and said she only lived five minutes down the road. Easy.

I walk out to the car, got in, unlocked her door, and then the feeling hit me. It was really weird. All of a sudden I started to feel uncomfortable, and I'm not sure but I think she did too. Realising that she didn't really know me that well, and could have doubts as to whether I could be trusted - crazy thoughts I know - was very unsettling. I started the car and turned on the radio to try and break the unpleasant ice. We drove for about thirty seconds before the windscreen fogged up completely and I had to pull over to the side of the road. I couldn't see at all. I went through the routine to get it de-fogged (putting window down, air conditioning on the windscreen) and sat there kinda embarrassed. Embarrassed was a better feeling that uncomfortable though, and I managed to make a joke, of sorts: "Maybe next time we should just not breathe." Although now I realise that could have come across kind of creepy - I'm going to kill you, let's make a suicide pact etc. etc. - but she thankfully didn't interpret it that way and laughed. The ice was slowly melting away as the windscreen gradually de-fogged.

I pulled onto the road again and drove her home, trying to drive well and safely to dispell any other uncertainties that she may have had, where she got out and thanked me. The feeling still lingered to some extent, be it a lesser one, the entire time though, and it really struck me as strange.

Anywho, that's that. Make of it what you will. Help me understand if you can!

Me.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Probably should have kept your cloths on… LOL you told her to stop breathing! I like the recurring ice metaphor even though it wasn’t intentional.

: : Wendz : : said...

there there Dale, you were only helping a stranger. Though you work together, you should start to get to know her better, so thing aren't so awkward from here on onwards.
All the best with it then
Cheers
Wendy

shan said...

i think its good to help people out. (im catholic so the good samaritan story must've stuck... i know none of the others did)
BUT!
as kids we are always told never to get in to the car with strangers. ok fair enough. you dont know who the hell they are. so why doesnt this same rule apply when you are the person offering to drive the other home? the girl you gave a lift home was a stranger to you. she could've been the psychopath with a butcher's knife in her handbag. you have every right to feel weird about giving a stranger a lift home as she was about getting a lift from a stranger.

then again, a stranger is justa friend you havent met....

Jesicka309 said...

lol its dangerous to leave the manager behind on their own

ur maccas does things weird lol only managers are allowed 2 give lifts home

hmmm