10/30/2006

Is this any good?

I got to my economics exam about an hour early and had nothing to do... So I decided rather than study (I knew I was screwed regardless of whether I did or not) I would do something kinda enjoyable - write creatively! Yes, that is my definition of fun. And yes, that quite possibly makes me weird... :) Anyway, this is what I came up with in about 20 minutes - keep in mind I haven't written properly for quite I while - enjoy! Or don't enjoy... whatever!

I begged for the sun to emerge from behind the clouds and bathe the grassy lawn where I sat with warmth. In the sun's absense the wind always seemed to become fiercer and more chilling. The contrast between the two states - warmth and coldness - was shocking but also rewarding. No matter how briefly the sun broke through the clouds, the relief and the delightful feeling made putting up with the conditions worthwhile.
People were scattered about the grassy area outside Caufield Racecourse rather sparsely, as it was still a good 45 minutes before 2.30pm when the exams commenced. Rather than studying most people appeared to be just sitting around, sprawled out on the grass. Some were chatting with their friends, whilst others who were by themselves were drinking a coffee or snacking on some food. Birds were chirping away in trees that looked about 500 years old, the true inhabitants of this area, allowing us humans to temporarily occupy their land.
Two birds darted past me to my right - a much smaller bird was relentlessly harrassing a big black raven, and getting the upper hand. I don't know what the raven did to deserve being tormented, but it was an inspiring sight to see - the little guy fearlessly taking it out on his much larger adversary, ignoring the risks to himself for the sake of protecting what was most important to him.
The clouds had given the sun a break, because the now more numerous grass-loungers were enjoying an extended period of uninterrupted sunlight to bask in. As 2:30 loomed, a more nervous chit-chat had developed, and a slightly anxious energy was filling the air. I wasn't phased. The outcome of this exam wouldn't count for anything. The only reason I was here was because of the fact that I hate not doing well and achieving good results. It's in my nature to try.
I look up and see some girl I don't recognise waving at me. It took me a little while to realise she was actually waving at me and not just in my general direction. I tentatively wave back, feeling foolish. I look back down at my note book to spare any further awkwardness.
The sun and wind began working in tandem, so I felt cold and warm at the same time. It was kind of a reflection of how I was feeling about the task at hand. Happy for what it symbolised, but sad for my most likely lacklustre performance.
Looking around again, I start to recognise a few familiar faces, although the girl who had waved at me was now gone. I got a few nods and smiles of recognition from some of the people in my tutorial as they walked past, and I acknowledged them similarly. The majority of people were now clustered around the entrance to the exam venue. I could see a few people bustling around anxiously, asking last minute questions of their friends, and double checking that their pens hadn't mysteriously disappeared in the last ten seconds.
I took a final swig from my water bottle, got to my feet, and went over to join them.

Not very action packed I know, and it's not exactly the subject on which I want to write, but I figure it was a good test of my writing abilities. And hey, that's pretty much unedited and written in 20 minutes... Imagine if I actually put some thought into it! :)

Dale.

2 comments:

Jesicka309 said...

lol tis good tis good
for 20 minutes work, i like it
little lacking in action, but then it was written wen there wasnt alot going on
so that fair enough
imagine if u had tried!! hehe
one day u will have 2 read sum of my stuff so we can swap notes haha
luv jess

Paul said...

lol "for 20 minutes work", jess is very kind to you.

No comment...