9/28/2006

Decisions, Decisions

For those of you who don't know, I've been doing a lot of serious thinking about what I'm going to do next year. Commerce is boring me to death, I think I want to write, my parents say I should do a double degree and keep some Commerce, I've considered taking time off from uni to just work and gain some perpective, and I've become very confused lately.

Anyway, I found my Grade 6 journal, and this is the very first entry in it (I won't alter the spelling mistakes for accuracy's sake!)

Mr Crossett,

I've been writing lots of stories lately but I don't really want to share any of them with the grade. They're only short twenty-twenty five page stories though, but they're about our age group, our as in the grades'. Most of them are about school and things that happen to me. I must admitt my favourite stories are adventure ones. Last year I entered a story in one of the story writing compititions but I didn't get any reply, I guess it wasn't good enough. I really enjoy reading too, especially John Marsden books. I get lots of ideas from John Marsden and my other favourite author Franklin. W. Dixon, auther of the Hardy Boys books. Do you have a favourite author? Miss Hunter's a bit over the top with Emily Rodda and Enid Blighton.

Bye For Now

Dale

And this is what the Christmas card that my Year 12 English teacher Mrs. Turner gave me on the last day of school said:

Dear Dale,

You are a tremendously gifter writer and I truly hope you get to showcase your talents in the future. Wishing you luck on your coming exams would be doing you a great disservice, but I certainly wish you every success for whatever career path you choose to follow.
Thank you for being such a committed and conscientious student and for bringing such insight to every class.

All the best in 2006 and beyond.
From, Mrs. T.

These two things are part of what I'm going to base my decision on for what I do next year. I know people don't comment on here, but if ANY of you have any thoughts I'd like to hear them.

Thank you,

Confused.

2 comments:

~shan said...

follow you heart. its a cliche but true.

Paul said...

Well it doesn’t matter what I think, mainly because you have already enrolled. You know how I feel about your writing dale, you’re extremely talented and when you finally publish a book I want the first one off the press. Although looking back upon what ‘Mrs. T.’ wrote in mine, (much better than yours by the way), I see she is very generous at offering writing as a career path. Perhaps she is cahoots with penguin.

Dashing your dreams and undermining your reasoning.

Till next we meet.
Paul