9/05/2006

Results Are In, Realisations Spurned

Today I found out the result of the mid semester test that I was a bit worried about! Ok, hold your breath... I got – drum roll please – 27 out of 40! It works out to be just under 70%. I’m happy I passed, and was probably lucky to get a mark that high for the lack of effort I put in. Looking at the questions I noticed I got every single one right from question 11 to question 30. Talk about getting on a roll (or being unbelievably lucky with the occasional blind guess!). It’s not quite up to my normal standards, but they’ve been slipping a lot lately, partly due to the realisation that I may very well be in the entirely wrong course, and partly because uni life is turning me into a lazy good-for-nothing slob.

This realisation has kind of awakened a part inside of me that’s started to evaluate exactly where I’m at, what I’ve done, and where I want to be. I didn’t plan for this post to take this direction, but who am I to argue with myself? The results of this figurative inner-examination of me produced the following semi-realisations:

  1. I don’t give enough to the world! I haven’t performed enough altruistic acts like getting behind a cause, helping out those in need, or doing something to enhance the lives of others. Bit of a selfish bastard aren’t I? This made me think about maybe volunteering for the Salvation Army or joining some worthwhile clubs at uni that campaign for the things that I believe in. I need to play a more active role in my community.
  1. I need a proper job! Uni isn’t stable enough for me, plus (becoming selfish again I know) I feel like I need more money because with it will come more independence. I’ve been feeling a bit restricted lately in some ways, and I want to break free of the shackles dammit! What kind of job? Well, I’m not sure. Thinking of taking a break from uni at the end of this semester, and seeing what exactly I can do.
  1. People are the most important thing in life! It’s both scary and wonderful when someone new comes into your life and makes you feel like you weren’t living before. So I’m going to make more of an effort to get to know people and hopefully build a lot of strong relationships that will last until... I’ve aged gracefully and am being celebrated for my years of generousity and charitable acts.

In the short term though, lately someone has inspired me to make a temporary change. So I’m gonna change my hair. Not the most drastic thing I know, but hey, it’s a start! A physical representation of my changing mentality. Hey! That actually sounded kinda smart!

This post was good to get out of the way, because I think I’ve been subconsciously hung up on these thoughts for a while. Also, I felt like I was struggling to actually do a blog, like there was some protective glass keyboard-shaped barrier blocking my fingers. But not anymore! This new comer is gonna keep blogging and show the old-timers how it’s done!

Finally, I know I’m the only one that this post probably interests. The posts I mentioned last time are coming up next, and hopefully they’ll be a little less me-orientated, and more humourous-like.

Thanks for putting up with my emotional blab.

Dale.

No comments: